Seva Mandir’s Health program focuses on the specific health concerns of three primary population groups women, children and youth:
- To develop better health-related standards at the community level for women, children and youth health
- To find solutions to entrenched health-related problems through research and programs.
- To influence the wider discourse on public and community health.
In the region where Seva Mandir works:
- 56% of women and 69.7% of children are anaemic.
- 88% of women have a BMI <21.
- 86.2% home deliveries.
- Lack of services for safe abortion.
- High incidences of RTI/STD.
- Only 36% of children have been fully immunized.
- Expenditure and health seeking behaviour has increased over the last 4 years from 10.65% to 15% of MPCC (monthly per capita consumption) goes into health care.
- While public health services are available, there are high levels of doctor and nurse absenteeism (50-80% in sub-centres), corruption and a general unresponsive attitude from government officials to make improvements and positive changes to the system.
Our efforts in addressing the health issues of the communities have led to changes in standards. Our interventions have helped communities experience quality services and enabled them to put pressure on local health centers to provide better services. Furthermore we have also been able to develop alternative solutions for ensuring quality health care in resource poor areas.
We have been successful in mobilizing the served communities to demand better quality services, however in many cases, public services have been unable to react positively either due to their own lack of resources or general apathetic attitude towards issues like corruption and absenteeism.
Our challenges lie in continuing to find solutions that meet the health needs of the community, as well as making public services more accessible and responsive to the demands of the communities.
- Maternal Health
- Child Health
- Referral Health Centers (RHC’s)
- Work on HIV/AIDS
- Research and Innovations
If you would like to support our health program or any of its specific interventions please visit our Donation Page
For more information please Contact Us