- The work of a Seva Mandir Bal Sakhi August 14, 2018
- Amivada Satyagraha August 14, 2018
- A Time of Change at Seva Mandir August 14, 2018
- Aapno Melo: Seva Mandir celebrates its Golden Jubilee with a huge community fair February 1, 2018
- Mohan Singh Mehta: An interview with Ajay Singh Mehta February 1, 2018
- Aapno Melo: What the villagers had to say February 1, 2018
- Making the most of precious water resources September 12, 2017
A Well In Kotra- One Farmer Helping The Whole Community
Narayan from Rajpur village in Kotra block had a well in his field, which he let the other farmers use to irrigate their adjoining fields. They paid him for the fuel used to pump the water to the surface and a third of their revenue at harvest time. He was proud that his well could be used to help the rural community. But the area is undulating and the farmers could only irrigate the land that the water could reach through gravity. This meant that for most of the year 85% of their land could not be cultivated.
With Seva Mandir‘s help, the well was made deeper and a lift pump was installed, with both electric and diesel machines so it could operate even during the numerous power cuts. The farmers now no longer pay fuel costs but give Narayan a quarter of their total production, out of which he pays for diesel and electricity, contributes 50% of the remainder to the village fund, and uses the rest for maintenance of the well and the machinery. So now, thanks to the lift well, they can farm all of their land (more than six times as much as before) as the water can be pumped up to the higher areas.
‘I am very proud that, by allowing my neighbors to use the lift mechanism in my well, I have helped the whole community to be much more prosperous. Seva Mandir has helped us all to live better.’